INFORMATION & EDUCATION COMMITTEE MEETING SUMMARY
7/21/99

BACK TO
INFORMATION &
EDUCATION
ARCHIVE

July 21, 1999, Meeting Summary

Information and Education Committee

Denver International Airport, Denver, Colorado



Participants: Kathy Kanda, Debbie Felker, Mark Hadley, Angela Kantola, Geoff Tischbein



> Action items. ** Recommendations to the Management Committee



1. Discussion of the I&E "Call to Action" paper - The Committee discussed the paper, highlighting areas of emphasis and annotating portions that needed more explanation.

**The Committee feels strongly that the I&E Coordinator should not only attend Management Committee meetings, but also should provide input on items that will have a significant public impact or need public involvement attention. The objective of the I&E Coordinator's participation should be to help the Management Committee consider the public support implications of its decisions before those decisions become final.

The Committee modified the process/approach to public involvement plans, making them subsets of the Coordinator's umbrella scope of work for information, education, and public involvement (Project #12).

The Committee recognized that it needs to meet earlier in the work planning process to better plan overall public involvement for the upcoming year. The Program also needs to be able to address new public involvement needs as they come up (ones that couldn't be predicted). Broader, but more strategic scopes of work for I&E can help us do this.

The Committee reviewed the program planning process, and outlined a meeting schedule for the year. The Committee will convene three times each year (see asterisked dates below), more if necessary.



10/99


Begin implementing work plan (beginning of Federal fiscal year).


12/99


Annual reports due.


*1/00


Meet to provide input to Coordinator on FY 2001 Program guidance (including budget).


2/00


2/1 - Program Director's draft Program Guidance issued.




2/15 - Committee comments on draft Program Guidance due.


*3/00


I&E planning meeting - sketch out I&E scopes of work and budget; do mid-year review and make any recommendations for course correction.


4/00


Scopes of work due to Program Director's office.


~5/00


Report/recommend any current year changes to the Management Committee.


*7/00


Meet to review proposed scopes of work for FY 2001.



2. Work Plan

#12 - The Committee focused its discussion on this scope of work, because members would like the public involvement plans to become sub-projects under this umbrella scope. The Committee reviewed the products/funding items in this scope and assigned the following priorities for FY 2000:

1 - Must do:

Utah travel (earmarked UDWR Recovery Program funds).

News clips.

Congressional briefing document.

Video - edit and finish the Grand Valley video in FY 2000 and write "treatment" for an updated Program video to be produced in FY 2001.

Program brochure (update and reflect squawfish name change).

Fact sheets. For landowners and others (to provide specific information not in the Program brochure).

River side signs to tell anglers about the endangered fishes.

Keep web site updated.

Endangered fish information in Colorado and Utah's fishing regulations.

2 - Priority:

Colorado River "plumbing" map/graphics. A water works poster would be more valuable than a generic Program poster. **Recommendation to the Management Committee - the Program needs a visual representation of "waterworks" on the Colorado River to help the public (and others) see the big picture - how all the reservoir operations, etc. fit together. Among other things, this will help the public understand that one sector isn't the only one affected, that the impacts of providing water for the endangered fishes are spread out.

Public involvement training (fund training for I&E Coordinator in FY 2000).

Newsletter/status reports. Something needs to go out more frequently. Consider combining the newsletter and status reports.

3 - Secondary (do if funds are available):

One-page annual report.

Reprint field ID cards (we are out of the non-laminated ones and they also need to reflect the pikeminnow name change). The Committee would like to get all the information on these cards into the fishing regulations for both Colorado and Utah.

Fishing license holders (we are out of the ones reflecting the pikeminnow name change).

Reprint Program poster (to reflect the pikeminnow name change).

"Rivers at Risk" curriculum (we are out of this and it also needs to reflect the pikeminnow name change).

The Committee believes that with FY 99 carry-over funds (amount to be determined) and $45K in FY 2000, the "must do" and "priority" activities can be completed. "Secondary" projects will be completed if funds are available. They will aggressively pursue these priorities, and to the extent some can't be accomplished within budget, then they will move those to recommended FY 2001 scope.

PIP-12/13 (Utah) - Mark explained that he and others who prepared this PIP did not fully understand the Program planning process. As a result, they submitted this proposal. None of the work in that proposal represents critical areas where public involvement is needed to make or break the effort. The proposal was withdrawn and the Committee recommended that the Management Committee provide funding for any needed public involvement for Tusher Wash work (capital funding) if that work is accelerated in FY 2000.

PIP - 6 (Ruedi) - Involve CDOW folks from the perspective of impacts to the fishery.

PIP-7 (Flaming Gorge )- Revise to reflect that the $51K will be an in-kind contribution from USBR, rather than out of the Recovery Program budget.

PIP-10 (Colorado River Pond Reclamation) - >Geoff Tischbein will draft a public involvement plan for Debbie to incorporate into project 12 by the end of August. The Committee recommended that public ponds be reclaimed first as demonstration projects and that we make the most of those in terms of public relations opportunities.



3. Other

Angela asked the Committee for recommendations for informing the public when the 15 Mile Reach programmatic biological opinion is complete and the long-term funding legislation is passed. The Committee recommended Program news releases.

Angela asked what sort of public involvement the Committee thought would be appropriate with regard to recovery goal determination, and the Committee agreed that this will be more of a public information item than public involvement. Because the USFWS is the lead agency for determining recovery goals, the Committee recommended that the Service assume responsibility for public information concerning this project.

Kathy Kanda will write a letter on behalf of the Committee to Management Committee Chairman John Shields requesting MC support for full representation and participation by all program partners on the I&E Committee. The committee discussed the immediate need to find a replacement for Linda Lee from the environmental groups and for stronger participation by the USFWS representative to avoid potential conflicts of interest created when Program staff are asked to represent both the Program and the Service.

>Mark Hadley will brief the Management Committee at its August meeting on the activities of the Committee and the I&E scopes of work.

Next meeting: Early January, 2000.

TOP OF PAGE