MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING SUMMARY
8/14/97

BACK TO
MANAGEMENT
ARCHIVE

CO/KS/NE/UT-CR/FY-97
Management Committee
Mail Stop 65115

Memorandum

To: Management Committee

From: Director, Colorado River Recovery Implementation Program

Subject: August 14, 1997, Draft Meeting Summary.

I have attached the subject group memory for your information. If you have any comments, you may provide them at the next Management Committee meeting (September 2, 1997).















Attachment



cc: Management Committee Consultants

and Interested Parties

Biology, Water Acquisition, and

Information & Education committee members



bcc: CR file, circ rf



Akantola:kjw:8/18/97

F:\WP\atk\mtg\081497.mc



MEETING SUMMARY



Meeting: Colorado River Management Committee, Lakewood, CO

Date: August 14, 1997

Attendees: See Attachment 1

>Assignments are highlighted in text



Convene: 9 a.m.

1. Review/modify agenda and time allocations - The agenda was revised as it appears below.



2. Select Management Committee chair - Kathleen Clarke, Brent Uilenberg, and John Shields were nominated. The decision was deferred to the next meeting so that the nominees can confer with their respective agencies regarding their availability for this daunting task.



3. Update on Program Director selection - Larry Shanks reported that Henry Maddux was selected as Program Director. Committee members extended both sincere congratulations and condolences to Henry.



4. Approve July 1, 1997, meeting summary and July 28, 1997 conference call summary - The last line under item #7 of the July 1 summary should read "meeting" not "conference call." The summary was approved in final with that change. >The Program Director's office will make the change and send out final hard copies. No changes were made to the July 28, 1997 conference call summary.



5. Review action items from recent meetings - The "DOI selenium studies" item under the 5/15/97 meeting are actually Recovery Program floodplain restoration selenium studies, and will be reflected as such in the future. >The Program Director's office will develop a schedule for the Management Committee, Implementation Committee, and Service to approve the Management Objectives (MO's) and get them finalized by December. >Utah will make sure that Management Committee members receive copies of all comments submitted on the MO's. >The Service will provide a list of additional reviewers (in addition to the Recovery Team) to Utah.



6. Review and approve draft FY-98 work plan (3 hours)



a. Availability of funds - Reclamation reported that only $6.013M is available in capital funds, not $7.162M (the remainder is for other recovery activities). As they offered previously, Reclamation will try to make up as much of the shortfall as possible, but they cannot commit to doing so until they have their budget and they can see what other funds may be available.



The following FY 98 funding uncertainties were identified:



1) Additional Reclamation capital funds to make up whatever portion of the $1.149M they can.



2) FY 97 capital funds carry-over.



3) FWS 97 Ouray carry-over (Service funds, flood relief funds).



4) FY 97 annual funds carry-over.



5) FWS overhead charge (+ or -). If the overhead is not waived via Congressional language currently in the Senate Appropriations Committee mark-up, then >the Program Director's office will seek whatever waivers we can (recognizing that no success is guaranteed).



6) Additional pond reclamation matching funds from CDOW.



b. Program Director's overview of issues - Henry Maddux outlined additional concerns and issues. These are reflected in the Management Committee discussion below.



c. Management Committee discussion



17b - Decrease overhead to 17.65% ($56.5K not $57.1K).



CAP6/OCW - Move this to the nonnative fish control section. Evaluation in FY 98, so it's okay to use capital funds, but it should be considered a new scope of work (SOW) for FY 99 (when it becomes O&M). $8K.



19H - Service requested additional funds for staff time. Not acceptable. The Program Director's office agreed to assume this responsibility.



53 - $5K publication charges - Agreed to leave in #53, with the understanding that all Program annual reports must identify Recovery Program funds spent for publication charges. >The Program Director's office will note this in the annual report format.



CAP9 - The objection to the 6 months of FWS staff time too coordinate the Yampa project was withdrawn. Colorado's in-kind contribution has been increased to $62.5K (see SOW they submitted on task #4). FY 97 low flow studies - funds have been obligated in FY 97 for this work, but we don't know if the flows will be low enough to accomplish it. However, we can't do the work unless we keep temporary employees on staff to do the work if and when the flows do drop. >The agencies involved (FWS, and to some extent, CDOW) will return any funds not spent in FY 97, but they will keep their temporaries until/unless they know they won't be needed for this work.



84 - Duchesne scope of work - >To be delivered to the Biology Committee by December 1. Operation and management costs for water delivery will require more discussion, but was added to the contingency items list.





15-Mile Reach channel monitoring - >The scope of work will be reviewed by the Coordinated Reservoir Operations Group to make sure it's capable of monitoring CRO benefits.



FG Ice study - Clayton clarified that this is a winter habitat study regarding overwinter mortality of young-of-year Colorado squawfish. It's not intended to provide information for the Flaming Gorge biological opinion. No money will be committed for FY 98, but this monitoring will be considered as part of the revised ISMP.



Geomorphology peer review - The funding will remain as recommended. >The Management Committee will discuss the peer review process, in general, at their next meeting.



CAP6 - A proposal was made to leave the budget at $2.023M as currently reflected, but not committing funds to LR, SDE, or LA until we know where we're at with FY 97 funds (but not hold up work/funding on the 5 sites still to be breeched). BR pointed out that there's still at least $1M of FY 97 funds not yet obligated. The Committee will come back to this later (at their 9/2 meeting)..



CAP4b - Correction: $91.8K should be $105.89K (Frank Pfeifer erroneously offered to cut $20K, when only $5K is available to be cut). The Service asked to add $25K (plus overhead) ($29.41K). This requested addition was put on the contingency list (annual funds). Reclamation maintained that if Redlands is successful, this work should be moved out of capital funds. The Service proposed deleting $100K selenium (annual funds) and funding CAP4b with annual funds. The Committee agreed.



CAP17a - Discussion deferred.



CAP15 (not discussed, but the issue identified was that Utah wants to be sure the Program will fund write-up of the results in FY 99 even if we don't decide to continue the study another year.)



Price-Stubb acceleration - Placed on the contingency list.



Selenium - $0 (see discussion under CAP4b).



Mosquito abatement - UT proposed SOW changes. Reclamation proposed finding another funding source. The Committee agreed to $5K for studies and meetings; but no actual mosquito abatement. >Utah will revise the SOW before the 9/2 meeting. The SOW will emphasize Utah, but they'll coordinate with Colorado. We need to respond to letters from public -- >will send them a letter saying we're putting together a task force, etc.



Nonnative fish work - >The Program Director's office will provide an assessment of how FY 98 nonnative fish control work matches our nonnative fish control strategy.



CAP18 - The language will be clarified so that it's clear that we're not using capital funds for nonnative removal.



Yampa catfish removal - SOW will be revised.



CAP7 - Add Wahweap ponds to list, but delete funding figures in the first set of columns for subitems. Show $570K in the requested column for Wahweap. Tom Czapla emphasized that we're currently production limited, not facilities limited. >The Program Director's office will address (by 9/2) "unrecognized facilities needs" as discussed by Tom Pitts.



Gila hybridization - The Committee agreed to reducing this to $0 and putting it back on the contingency list.



ISMP - (No changes are proposed in the overall budget, but the breakout amounts may change based on ISMP handbook revision and MO tracking). An outline of what's to be monitored was provided by Tom Czapla. Discussion deferred to 9/2.



Larval ID - >The Program Director's office will double-check funding needs in light of the recent flood and staffing changes.



I&E - public involvement coordination - Discussion deferred.



Flaming Gorge public involvement - Discussion deferred.



Brown's Park educational exhibit - Discussion deferred.



The Committee discussed how to balance the budget and develop & prioritize the contingency list, but did not reach any conclusion. >The Program Director's office will provide their best possible estimate of carry-over funding at 9/2 meeting.



Summary of projects added to the FY 98 contingency list during the course of the Management Committee's discussion (no priorities assigned):



Additional pond reclamation (the water users hope to convince CDOW to commit an additional $97K to pond reclamation, which the Recovery Program would be expected to match). Capital funds.



O&M costs for delivery of flows from the Central Utah Project for the Duchesne River study (#84). Section 7, FY 88, or annual funds.



CAP4b (Redlands passage evaluation) - $29.41K ($25K + overhead) for radio tracking has been requested in an addendum to the scope of work. Annual funds.



Accelerating Price-Stubb fish passage. Capital funds.



Gila hybridization - $32K. Annual funds.



Selenium studies - $100K place-holder. Annual funds.



7. Review revised capital project cost estimate for long-term funding authorization - Deferred to 9/2 meeting.



8. 15-Mile Reach Strategy Workgroup report - Deferred.



9. Operation and maintenance costs on GVIC passage - Reclamation doesn't want GVIC O&M to come from capital funds. The evaluation can come from capital funds, but once's it's O&M, funds must come from another source. Agreed. Take issue - The Service will take the responsibility for take, trusting that if a screen to prevent adult entrainment is needed, the Program will include it in the RIPRAP and fund it..



10. Develop proposed agenda for September 17 Implementation Committee meeting - Deferred. >The Program Director's office will provide a draft at the 9/2 meeting. >Anyone with ideas for the agenda should send them to Angela.



11. FY 97 channel monitoring scope of work - Dropped from agenda; Yampa River cross-section work can be done this year, after all.



12. Stocking razorback suckers above the Roller Dam on the Colorado River in FY 98 - Deferred to 9/2 meeting.



13. Next meeting - September 2, 1997 in Salt Lake City, in the auditorium on the main floor of Utah Department of Natural Resources.



Adjourn: 4:15 p.m.

TOP OF PAGE